[Foundation-l] Clearing up Wikimedia's media licensing policies

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Feb 10 23:27:28 UTC 2007

Jon Harald Søby wrote:

>On 2/8/07, Gunnar René Øie <gunnarre at nvg.ntnu.no> wrote:
>

>> Because if the fair use claim is valid and strong enough, then
>>
>>commercial re-users can use those fair-use images. Non-commercial and
>>"Wikipedia only"? Not so.
>>

>Wrong. If the fair use claim is valid and strong enough, then
>commercial re-users can use those fair-use images IN THE USA. Please
>note that 30-33% - or some 111 million people* - of all first-language
>users live outside the US, and thus cannot legally freely reuse this
>content. If you count second-language speakers as well, this number
>rises to 1.5 BILLION PEOPLE who cannot freely reuse Wikipedia
>content.* Is that within our scope? I don't think so.

I don't see the issue in simple terms of how many people can use the
fair use material.  Still having that many people arguing for fair use
can present quite a strong voice.  I would argue that a person living in
a country that does not grant an individual copyrights greater than what
that individual receives in his own country could claim fair use for
works by a US producer.  Denying fair use for US sourced material would
be giving that person greater rights than what he receives in his own
country.

When considering transitivity of fair use only one of the four factors
gives us any trouble.  The nature of the work used does not change, it
is impossible for the re-user to use any more than the already
insubstantial portion that we use, and if our use does not affect the
market for the right's owner goods it is impossible to see where the
market effect will change.  If the re-user combines our fair uses with
the fair use from an other site to create a composite, or even manages
to tap enough of several fair uses to effectively re constitute the
entire original work he is an abuser as well as a re-user.  That kind of
behaviour is completely out of our control.

The first factor is the problem: "the purpose and character of the use,
including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit
educational purposes". We can control the purpose and character of our
own use, but not that of the re-users.  Our use is clearly not of a
commercial nature, but we allow our re-users to act commercially.  The
use of the word "including" in that clause suggests that that provision
is not used alone, and need not be the sole determining factor.  It does
cannot be interpreted to automatically exclude all commercial use and
include all nonprofit educational uses.  Judicial analyses of this
factor tend to focus on the transformative nature of the use.  Is the
user changing the use into something other than that applied by the
rights owner?  We could ask ourselves, "If circumstances differed only
in that we were a commercial operation instead of a non-profit one would
our own identical use still be fair use?"  If yes, would it not also be
so for our re-users?  If our own use is transformative, an identical
re-use is also likely to be transformative, notably in mirror sites.
Further transformations by re-users into new uses should also be
acceptable.  The only thing left then is those commercial sites who
manage to transform fair use back into an infringement.  This, like so
many other abuses, is well beyond our control.  Is is a "_significant_
legal restriction" in the sense intended by Kat's analysis.

Much of my comments above depends on US law.  Other countries will be
more restrictive, and that will certainly influence our decisions.
Perhaps a policy that derives from the Berne Convention concept of "fair
practice" might be more useful than a country by country analysis.

Ec