[Foundation-l] Clearing up Wikimedia's media licensing policies

Gunnar René Øie gunnarre at nvg.ntnu.no
Thu Feb 8 12:11:51 UTC 2007

Den 8. feb. 2007 kl. 13.00 skrev Jon Harald Søby:

> On 2/8/07, Gunnar René Øie <gunnarre at nvg.ntnu.no> wrote:
>>
>> Den 8. feb. 2007 kl. 12.00 skrev Claudio Mastroianni:
>>

>>> I still can't understand how's been possible to state two
>>> constrasting statement in the same letter, as "we accept only free
>>> media for all users and purposes" and "we accept fair use, who's not
>>> *for all users and purposes*".
>>
>> Because if the fair use claim is valid and strong enough, then
>> commercial re-users can use those fair-use images. Non-commercial and
>> "Wikipedia only"? Not so.
>
> Wrong.

No, not wrong. The statement "There exists commercial re-users who
can use fair use images and there exists no commercial re-user that
can use "non-comm" images outside of fair use" is true, with
exception for those countries that don't enforce copyright law. I
didn't say "all" re-users. Read the statement from Kat again.