[Foundation-l] Clearing up Wikimedia's media licensing policies

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Sat Feb 10 09:29:20 UTC 2007

On 2/10/07, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:
> which was basically written by you... so this becomes 'ask Erik's
> interpretation' :)

The main text was co-authored by Benjamin Mako Hill. You have no idea
how many emails and conversations with Richard Stallman and Lawrence
Lessig were required to get to the point where we are now. The
definition was also reviewed and improved with the feedback of the
moderator team, which includes Angela Beesley, Mia Garlick from
Creative Commons, and Elizabeth Stark from freeculture.org.

> This line:
> No other restrictions or limitations: The work itself must not be
> covered by legal restrictions (patents, contracts, etc.) or
> limitations (such as privacy rights) which would impede the freedoms
> enumerated above.

Note that this is the section referring to free _works_. The draft
resolution makes reference only to the section about free _licenses_,
and makes no comment about free works.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik