[Foundation-l] Clearing up Wikimedia's media licensing policies

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 09:13:18 UTC 2007

On 10/02/07, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> > Also, the wording in Kat's statement implies that "Foundation policy"
> > can be equated
> > with "licenses allowed on Wikimedia Commons".
>
> The current draft resolution makes reference to the "Definition of
> Free Cultural Works" for the purpose of identifying free licenses:
> http://freedomdefined.org/Definition
>
> This would help to separate the process from any specific Wikimedia project.

which was basically written by you... so this becomes 'ask Erik's
interpretation' :)

This line:
No other restrictions or limitations: The work itself must not be
covered by legal restrictions (patents, contracts, etc.) or
limitations (such as privacy rights) which would impede the freedoms
enumerated above.

makes me think we would have to delete all trademarks, and all
national/state symbols, and things like the Red Cross symbols (
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Red_cross ) , because they are
covered by "legal restrictions or limitations" that don't allow them
to be used to misrepresent the thing they stand for. Correct
interpretation or not? Is this what WMF truly intends?

cheers
Brianna