[Foundation-l] precisions about the recent WMF "fair use" decision

David Monniaux David.Monniaux at free.fr
Fri Feb 9 00:23:45 UTC 2007

>  I know ESA releases their images under a non-commercial
> use only license, but there have been attempts to try and open that
> licensing up a bit more to something more akin to the standard CC-by-SA
> type license.

"Standard" is overrated. It's "standard" in our little world of free
content providers. :-)
Never forget that most people in the real world have never heard of
content "licenses".

Having been personally involved in the attempts that you mention, I can
tell you that
the issue is really complex. Any attempt at comparing ESA and NASA
completely
misses the difference between legal systems and operating environments.

> trying to milk every last drop of money from
> content produced by salaried employees of these governments

There's something to that but it's not the main issue in the case of ESA.