[Foundation-l] Clearing up Wikimedia's media licensing policies

Claudio Mastroianni gattonero at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 21:54:34 UTC 2007

Il giorno 08/feb/07, alle ore 21:23, Pedro Sanchez ha scritto:

> I'll try to reword Gregory's argument since I think it's still not
> clear to you (and for what I see, most it: people).
>
> 1. On italy, you're allowed to publish with permission but not
> under fair use.
> 2. So you can upload if you get permission
> 3. Once the file has been uploaded in italy with permission, USA
> people can access it
> 4. Should the cirterion met, USA people can reuse the content under
> fair use (since there, fair use applies no matter what the licencing
> terms are (permission or not))

Ok, that's received.
BUT the permission grants use *only* under certain condition.
More specifically, quite *all* the permission say "You can use it,
but ONLY on it.wikipedia".
This is our permission, and this is our deal.

> therefore he's suggesting you to tag your images with the text
> * This image has been published in  Italy with permission (not under
> nonexistent "italy fair use")
> * This image *could* be used on some other countries as fair use where
> those countries law allow it

Saying this, I'm "inviting" other people to use it *outside*
it.wikipedia.
This goes against our deal and our permission.
It's like when I have a gun and I leave it on a seat in the park: if
anyone use it, I'm legally in trouble.

(By the way: is it etical doing what are you saying? It's a dirty trick)

> Am I right greg? Did I explain it correctly?

You've not said the phrase "You're paranoid", that could be a problem.

Gatto Nero