[Foundation-l] Clearing up Wikimedia's media licensing policies

Pedro Sanchez pdsanchez at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 20:23:36 UTC 2007

On 2/8/07, Claudio Mastroianni <gattonero at gmail.com> wrote:

> Il giorno 08/feb/07, alle ore 17:56, Gregory Maxwell ha scritto:
>
> > but is this only because you have misrepresented it to them?
> >
> > I'd like to understand how you came to represent all of itwiki.
> >
> > With your loud and abrasive style, you do not appear to be someone I
> > would have selected to represent me.
>
> Sorry. I've just reposted the *whole* email of Kat, and made two
> statement.
> Everyone has been able to read it in his wholeness (even in a
> translated form *not made by me*), and to make their opinion.
>
> Gatto Nero

I'll try to reword Gregory's argument since I think it's still not
clear to you (and for what I see, most it: people).

1. On italy, you're allowed to publish with permission but not under fair use.
2. So you can upload if you get permission
3. Once the file has been uploaded in italy with permission, USA
people can access it
4. Should the cirterion met, USA people can reuse the content under
fair use (since there, fair use applies no matter what the licencing
terms are (permission or not))

therefore he's suggesting you to tag your images with the text
* This image has been published in  Italy with permission (not under
nonexistent "italy fair use")
* This image *could* be used on some other countries as fair use where
those countries law allow it

Am I right greg? Did I explain it correctly?