[Foundation-l] Clearing up Wikimedia's media licensing policies

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Thu Feb 8 18:53:54 UTC 2007

Mark Wagner wrote:

>On 2/8/07, Claudio Mastroianni <gattonero at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Il giorno 08/feb/07, alle ore 10:05, Mark Wagner ha scritto:
>>

>>>Nothing will change for en.wiki?  Hardly.  If I'm reading this
>>>correctly, most of the images used under a claim of "fair use" are no
>>>longer allowed
>>>

>>No, uncorrect. Foundation said that fair use images *should* not be
>>used.
>>The term is important, compared to "need to phased out" used with
>>images with permission.
>>You - en.wiki - as far as I've understood, have the right to choose
>>if allow or not fair use images on your projects.
>>Guess what are you going to choose? :D
>>

>Read it again.  Fair use is pemitted for "some works, primarily
>historically important photographs and significant modern artworks,
>that we can not realistically expect to be released under a free
>content license, but that are hard to discuss in an educational
>context without including the media itself."  Maybe one fair-use image
>in twenty on the English Wikipedia meets these criteria.

There are also a fairly substantial number of photos that I've found
which are licensed "for use on Wikipedia only".  These are currently
cataloged and listed under fair-use images, but are not allowed for a
3rd party to use.  I just found a couple of these yesterday, and it sort
of surprised me that they were even there, as the copyright owner has
given the WMF permission to host them on Wikipedia but they are
otherwise unfree for anybody else to use them.

With this new policy, I guess these sort of images would have to be
deleted on en.wikipedia.

--
Robert Scott Horning