[Foundation-l] Clearing up Wikimedia's media licensing policies

Piero pierogra at libero.it
Thu Feb 8 12:36:56 UTC 2007

Brianna Laugher ha scritto:
> On 08/02/07, Piero <pierogra at libero.it> wrote:
>
>> Moreover considering that images with permission are checked to assure
>> that they are used only for allowed case (through OTRS), and fair use
>> images are not.
>>

> No, that is not how OTRS permissions work. OTRS checks that the
> copyright-holder has released the media under a free license, not that
> limited-permission media are being used in those limited ways. 'Images
> with permission', if you mean Wikipedia-only permission images, would
> these days be told 'sorry, that's not free enough'.
>
> I thin IT.wp just needs to accept this announcement. Wailing about it
> is not going to make any progress. (And no I'm not a fair use
> apologist. I think we should abolish all fair use, too...)
>
> regards,
> Brianna
> user:pfctdayelise

I say that for "images with permission" is possible to have a sort of
control, for "fair use images" it's not possible;
I do not think we need absolutely images with permission, we can choose
to cut them off, which is probably the best solution; but I think that
an image with permission is more fair than a "fair use" one.

piero tasso