[Foundation-l] Comparison of new user welcome efforts across projects

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 14:41:03 UTC 2007

On 06/02/07, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> It is not nice nor is it correct to talk down on the effort of the
> Vietnamese Wiktionary crowd.

Sorry, that was not my intent. I have no opinion on whether it is
appropriate for bots to produce large numbers of wiktionary pages
because I'm not familiar with Wiktionary.
By 'falsely boost' I am referring to the contradiction from what one
might expect, that more pages = more users. If WI.wikt had the 11th
largest number of registered users, I would be extremely surprised if
they had no template:Welcome, and IMO they would be missing a big
opportunity by not having this practice of welcoming users with a
standard message.

Different messages are appropriate at different stages of wiki growth
(as I have said previously). So in my opinion it can be appropriate
for a project with  relatively low USER growth, like VI.wikt, to not
have a template:welcome.

Does it make sense?

regards,
Brianna