[Foundation-l] Comparison of new user welcome efforts across projects

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 17:32:19 UTC 2007

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007, Bence Damokos wrote:

> We should also look at how anonymous editors are greeted, and the
> conversion
> rate of IPs into Users of such greetings.

Some Wikidemia-project contributors have long wanted to run such an
experiment.  You might talk to en:User:Tobacman about running such a
study.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Tobacman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Wikidemia
   (see 'Ongoing Studies' for ideas not yet implemented)

SJ

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007, Bence Damokos wrote:

> We should also look at how anonymous editors are greeted, and the conversion
> rate of IPs into Users of such greetings.
>
> Regards,
> Dami
> [[hu:User:Bdamokos]]
>
> On 2/4/07, Robert Scott Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net> wrote:
>>
>> Brianna Laugher wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Welcoming new users is a common community activity across many
>>> Wikimedia wikis. The idea is usually to do at least some of the
>>> following: give the user key links to core policies, an explanation of
>>> syntax/technical help, make them feel part of the community, and give
>>> them links to places to ask further questions.
>>>
>>> Different projects can have different needs. For example, some
>>> non-English projects give links (in English) to Embassy or Babel
>>> pages, where they can ask questions in English rather than the
>>> language of the project. Also, non-Wikipedia projects can perhaps
>>> expect that most of their new users will be familiar with Wikipedia
>>> first, and therefore tailor their welcome messages with the
>>> expectation that the user already is familiar with the technical
>>> aspects, and emphasise the difference in policies between their
>>> project and Wikipedia.
>>>

>>> cheers,
>>> Brianna