[Foundation-l] Comparison of new user welcome efforts across projects

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 08:28:40 UTC 2007

On 04/02/07, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Brianna Laugher schreef:
> > On 04/02/07, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> When a good consistent localisation for all our projects is given
> >> priority, we would make the incubator the wiki where all the effort of
> >> localisation is concentrated. This will provide a focus for localisation
> >> and the updated messages can be distributed from there to all the wikis
> >> for all the projects. It will also ensure that all languages are part of
> >> the MediaWiki releases, making MediaWiki even more relevant than it is
> >> at the moment.
> >>

> > You are talking about the interface, correct? I think RB is right that
> > welcome templates need to be a community effort rather than something
> > that can be automatically propogated. The message needs to be tweaked
> > from wiki to wiki, because they are at different stages of
> > development. A relatively small wiki doesn't usually have an
> > administrators' noticeboard and six varieties of village pump. And a
> > Wikipedia welcome will of course be significantly different to a
> > Wikinotpedia welcome.
> >
> > cheers,
> > Brianna
> Hoi,
> You can only address these issues when you communicate in the first
> place. With a language not supported in the first place, the people will
> be isolated from your attempts at informing them as a result.

What do you mean by this, "a language not supported"? I am only
concerned with existing Wikimedia projects.

or is your point that I only wrote my email in English? I don't
apologise for that...

I am not really clear about what your point is or was. Is it a
criticism of me? Or the current Wikimedia community? or something
else?

regards,
Brianna