[Foundation-l] Comparison of new user welcome efforts across projects

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 07:51:32 UTC 2007

Brianna Laugher schreef:
> On 04/02/07, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> When a good consistent localisation for all our projects is given
>> priority, we would make the incubator the wiki where all the effort of
>> localisation is concentrated. This will provide a focus for localisation
>> and the updated messages can be distributed from there to all the wikis
>> for all the projects. It will also ensure that all languages are part of
>> the MediaWiki releases, making MediaWiki even more relevant than it is
>> at the moment.
>>

> You are talking about the interface, correct? I think RB is right that
> welcome templates need to be a community effort rather than something
> that can be automatically propogated. The message needs to be tweaked
> from wiki to wiki, because they are at different stages of
> development. A relatively small wiki doesn't usually have an
> administrators' noticeboard and six varieties of village pump. And a
> Wikipedia welcome will of course be significantly different to a
> Wikinotpedia welcome.
>
> cheers,
> Brianna
Hoi,
You can only address these issues when you communicate in the first
place. With a language not supported in the first place, the people will
be isolated from your attempts at informing them as a result. It is all
very good that you want to point out why and where all the different
notice boards are but this too is something where you need localisation
to be effective at it. Remember there are some 250 languages that we aim
to support. Effectively that is the size of what you want to do.

When you make it more interesting by wanting to consider WikiNotPedia,
consider what to do for WikiNotMedia. You want some structure to the
messages because Wikipedia and Commons are at the moment the only
projects where you have communities for 250 languages.

Thanks,
    GerardM