[Foundation-l] Fair Use (again)

teun spaans teun.spaans at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 07:00:54 UTC 2007

I checked three mid 20th century dutch epaper encyclopedias:
kleine oosthoek (about 60.000 articles)
winkler prins pocket encyclopedie (50000 articles)
None of them has something like citaatrecht / fair use mention with the
pictures, at the front of the book series or at the end of the books.
Sesam pocket encyclopedie (100000 articles) is no longer in my possession,
but I had looked this thing up before.

I must note that dutch citaatrecht is much ore limited than US "fair use".
For a book cover the law, reading it strictly, allows you to use it in an
article discussing the cover, but not with an article discussing the book.
The latter however seems to have grown into a habbit, so in Dutch courts
this might be considered an "acquired right", or it may not.

teun