[Foundation-l] Use of WMF-related images and EDP

wiki_tomos wiki_tomos at inter7.jp
Sat Dec 29 19:12:10 UTC 2007

Hi. It occurred to me that the Board resolution on Licensing of media files
does not talk about those non-free images copyrighted by the Wikimedia Foundation.

Wikimedia Foundation's copyrighted images. I am talking images
that are found under [[Category:CopyrightByWikimedia]], for example, on
English Wikipedia.

I can think of each project somehow defining scope, acceptable use, etc. of
these non-free images in their EDP. Unlike other images based on things like
fair use, the Foundation-related images would be allowed even when it is not
used in any article. It could be non-critical. A whole new section on an EDP,
for many different projects.

But a much simpler solution is for the Board to amend the resolution
to exclude these images altogether from the scope of the Licensing Policy,
I think. How does that sound?

By the way, are those images supposed to be individually reviewed and
its use authorized by the Foundation? I have an impression that it is the case.

Best,

Tomos