[Foundation-l] A dangerous precedent

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 27 14:12:41 UTC 2007

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposals_for_closing_projects/Radical_clean
> > up_of_Volapük_Wikipedia
>
> Once more:
> * This is not about deleting vo.wikipedia
> * This is not about denying the right of a Volapük
> Wikipedia
>
> This is *only* about the way choosen to create the
> Volapük Wikipedia. This is
> about changing this unhealthy way that severely
> harms all other Wikipedias
> (not only wih Interwiki spam to useless bot
> articles). This is about a bad
> habbit of edit cheating others have done prior.
> Volapük Wikipedia simply went
> to far down this road to perdition. No other
> Wikipedia contains nearly 100%
> bot generated content.

The protest here is that you should have no say in the
way chosen to create the Volapük Wikipedia.  If
Volapük Wikipedia is valid community, then they are
free to create their project by any method that works
for them.  If it is not a valid community, then the
WMF should close the project.  This is a bright line.
There is no basis for outsiders to dictate how a local
community goes about it's work excepting for
violations of the foundation principles ("free as in
freedom", Neutral Point of View, "anyone can edit").
This new kind of micromanagment you have proposed has
nothing to do with a foundation principle as far as I
can tell. I personally find your proposal out of line
and if it succeeds, I agree that it will be "A
dangerous precedent".

Birgitte SB