[Foundation-l] (Japanese) Wikipedia won "Web of the year" in Japan

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 04:45:04 UTC 2007

On 22/12/2007, Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Dmcdevit <dmcdevit at cox.net> wrote:
>
> > Brian McNeil wrote:
> > > I have forwarded this message onto Wikinews-l. If
> > you have any Japanese
> > > contributors that want to work on doing an article
> > for en.wikinews I'd be
> > > delighted to help out, polish English, and put
> > them on the right track.
> > >

> > I would *much* prefer a press release or similar
> > action by the WMF than
> > a Wikinews article. I am always uneasy by Wikinews'
> > frequent articles
> > about Wikimedia, which doesn't square with the NPOV,
> > and it doesn't seem
> > to be getting better.
> >
> > Dominic
>
> Wikinews is a wiki.  Volunteers are going to write
> about what interests them.  I hope the article itself
> is written in an un-biased way, but you are really
> strecthing NPOV beyond credibility to say dictates
> whether an article can *exist* or not.  By your
> measure en.WP violates NPOV because it covers a
> greater precentage of American towns than Japanese
> towns.

Not quite. I think a better comparison would be if en.wp had a
different measure of notability for WMF-related topics compared to
general.
When it comes to news, what journalists choose to write about shows
their judgement about what is important. Wikinews' disproportionate
coverage of Wikimedia-related topics suggests that a different measure
of notability or importance is used. Of course it's inappropriate to
say something like "Wikinews can never write about WMF" but maybe
there should be some guidelines encouraging wikinewsies to cover
stories in proportion to their relevance or importance or whatever...
well, maybe it is this:

from http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Content_guide
"News is relevant. Being Wikinews — global and Internet-based —
stories about local news may need to have their relevance explained
for our international audience. Stories should appeal to a large
number of people."

Would Wikinews write this story if the winner was YouTube?

Maybe Brian should sometimes funnel his considerable enthusiasm to
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_press_releases rather than
Wikinews.

cheers
Brianna