[Foundation-l] Is popularity a good thing for us?

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sun Dec 16 20:10:24 UTC 2007

Andrew Whitworth wrote:
> +our goal is to spread this knowledge freely to all humanity. People
> knowing of our existence is a prerequisite to them using our
> knowledge.

I agree that's currently the case, but it need not be forever. Right now
the main reason that knowledge-spreading would be reduced by
*.wiki[m|p]edia.org getting fewer hits is that we're both the content
producers and the only significant distributors of the content. If there
were lots of third-party reuse and distribution of our content (as
intended by our Free license!) then our own popularity would be less
important, and we could focus more on producing good content, knowing
that as soon as we put it out there, other organizations would step in
to distribute it to whatever corners of the earth could benefit from it.

In many ways that'd be better IMO, as central "push" distribution is
harder to tailor to end-users' needs than "pull" distribution where
hundreds of organizations around the world reuse our content. One of the
points of free content is that it's hard to predict exactly how someone
might want to use something, so best to put it under a license that
allows anyone to adapt the work as needed.

But so far that seems to be getting started fairly slowly, especially as
regards other nonprofit organizations doing something interesting with
our content. Why this is I'm not entirely sure. Is it that nobody has
good ideas? Or they find the format we provide our dumps in too
intimidating? Or they want more filtered/stable content? Or they lack
money? Etc.

-Mark