[Foundation-l] Passed resolution (super short update)

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 18:06:28 UTC 2007

On 15/12/2007, John at Darkstar <vacuum at jeb.no> wrote:
> If there was a plan I sure hope they will post it in a _very_short_time_
> as the present state of the matter is not what I would say is even close
> to the standard the board should follow. Even the statement "Upon the
> announcement of that relicensing, the Foundation will initiate a process
> of community discussion" creates serious concerns that a relicensing
> will be done without a prior real discussion. Given the previous
> discussion on this list I'm not assured at all that this isn't the
> situation.

You're completely misinterpreting that quote. The FSF are going to
write a new version of the GFDL which will be compatible with
CC-by-SA, for some, as yet unknown (to me, at least), definition of
"compatible". That will happen before the Wikimedia Community is
consulted, since we have nothing to do with it. After that, the WMF
will consult the community and decide if they will transfer Wikipedia,
etc., onto the new license.