[Foundation-l] Foundation Discretion Regarding Personnel Matters

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 08:20:55 UTC 2007

On 12/14/07, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> While such an agreement may seem like a good idea at the time, I think
> the current situation shows why that thinking is flawed. Had the WMF
> been open about the whole situation at the time, we wouldn't now be in
> the situation of having our credibility ripped to shreds in the
> tabloids. It's not a fun thing to do, but generally when something bad
> has happened it's best to admit it and face the music, trying to keep
> it hidden just results in more trouble in the long run.

Our credibility is not ripped to shreds. Tabloids don't have the mojo to
accomplish that. Our very tendency to assume good faith, which may
have been part of the naivety in operations that led to this unhappy
pass, is also the reason for our great strength and resilience when
faced with these kind of shocking news. Sure, people will talk, that
is only natural. But when all is said and done, we accumulate the
lessons learned and go forward. "The dogs bark, the caravan goes
forth."

What should be crystal clear though, is that The Register isn't going
after wikipedia merely because it is "there". They really, really, really;
really love us.