[Foundation-l] Foundation Discretion Regarding Personnel Matters

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 17:42:19 UTC 2007

On 14/12/2007, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> I think that is a bit naive. A confidentiality agreement when someone leaves
> may assure that both parties indicate to the rest of the world that the
> parture of ways was amicable. The alternative can be quite costly and
> unproductive. If anything, the only thing I wish the WMF would have done
> differently is make a public statement at the time that "Carolyn has left
> her position, and that we thank her for the services rendered". This would
> be an adequate and honest statement as long as it is true. It is true as
> long as no criminal offences have happened. When there were, and to the best
> opinion of the WMF this is the best way of ending the relation, it should
> still be true as far as the rest of the world is concerned. And, I am happy
> to say, we, the community of volunteers of the WMF projects, qualify as
> such.

While such an agreement may seem like a good idea at the time, I think
the current situation shows why that thinking is flawed. Had the WMF
been open about the whole situation at the time, we wouldn't now be in
the situation of having our credibility ripped to shreds in the
tabloids. It's not a fun thing to do, but generally when something bad
has happened it's best to admit it and face the music, trying to keep
it hidden just results in more trouble in the long run.