[Foundation-l] Wikinews - not so much a state of the wiki

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 21:55:15 UTC 2007

> > There will be information that will never leave the embargoed Wiki. For
> > example, a couple of us have contact addresses for some of the habeas corpus
> > lawyers working on the case before the Supreme Court, it would not be good
> > for this information (their emails and private musings) to fall into public
> > view.
>
> If you want to severely restrict this sort of contact information, but
> leave it "on file", it might be worth setting up some kind of OTRS
> account and mailing it there - the number of people with access is
> limited and managed on a case-by-case basis, and you don't have to
> worry about it being lost when you wipe it from the wiki... or
> available to more than the two or three people who need to read it and
> summarise it for everyone else.

I would keep contact info like that privately and just hand it when
absolutely necessary. If they are personal contacts, then you ought to
contact them personally, rather than handing out their addresses to
other people. There is a risk that someone will leave the project and
take their contacts with them, but, as far as I know, that's the case
in the journalism industry as a whole, it's not unique to Wikinews.