[Foundation-l] Racism in Commons

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 19:12:49 UTC 2007

<begin excessive simplification>These silly "depictions of muhammed"
things pop up ever so often. For example, CAIR raised a stink over the
depiction of Muhammed as a judge in the US Supreme Court Building. The
result? Too bad, so sad. Jyllands Postens controversy. Result? Lots of
burning and riots, a few people hurt/killed, but it only served to
spread the images. Teddy Bear named Muhammed....result? Teacher went
back home, and Sudan's public image is again back down to where it was
before the Darfur debate quieted down.</end excessive simplification>

My best guess is in about 3 years, we'll have something like Wikiart
which will depict muhammed in a painting, some people will get riled
up and raise a stink, and we'll be right back where we started. The
important question then, is are we displaying images that people find
offensive in spite of  the fact that the get offended, or are we
displaying them because of  the fact they get offended? If it is the
latter, we have a moral obligation to take them down, and question our
own ethics. If it is the former, we have a duty to remain uncensored.

I fear that these cartoons in question (the ones of sharon) fit
squarely into the latter.

-dan