[Foundation-l] A day to celebrate, Wikipedia on the cover of the Stern magazine, in a comparison with Brockhaus (and guess who "won"...)

Matthew Britton matthew.britton at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 6 14:03:44 UTC 2007

--- Mathias Schindler <mathias.schindler at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2007 12:45 PM, Erik Moeller
> <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> > On 12/5/07, Mathias Schindler
> <mathias.schindler at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Tomorrow's issue of Stern Magazin (think about it as
> a slightly softer
> > > version of Newsweek or TIME, more or less) has
> Wikipedia on its cover.
> > > They compared 50 articles from de.wp to the 15-volume
> edition of the
> > > Brockhaus publishing house to each other (the test
> was done by
> > > experts, of course :) ) and posted the results in a
> press release,
> > > pointing to the article: score
> >
> > Congratulations to the German Wikipedia community for
> this historic
> > achievement! And all that without stable versions! ;-)
> >

> With stable versions, we could obviously have gotten a
> 1,0 score :)

Erik states that the report especially highlights the
project's coverage of current events. I still fear that
once the stable versions feature is introduced and has been
in use for a year or two there will be many pages with
changes submitted months previously that are still not
visible to readers. That may well adversely affect the
outcome of any attempt to measure a project's coverage of
current events.

-Gurch