[Foundation-l] A day to celebrate, Wikipedia on the cover of the Stern magazine, in a comparison with Brockhaus (and guess who "won"...)

Mathias Schindler mathias.schindler at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 10:45:44 UTC 2007

Greetings,

Tomorrow's issue of Stern Magazin (think about it as a slightly softer
version of Newsweek or TIME, more or less) has Wikipedia on its cover.
They compared 50 articles from de.wp to the 15-volume edition of the
Brockhaus publishing house to each other (the test was done by
experts, of course :) ) and posted the results in a press release,
pointing to the article:

http://www.presseportal.de/pm/6329/1096919/gruner_jahr_stern

The overall score for Wikipedia was 1,7 on a scale from 1 (best) to 6
(worst), Brockhaus got a 2,7.

In only 6 out of 50 articles, Brockhaus was considered to be better,
in 43 cases, it was Wikipedia.

We were especially good in the topic of current events (how
surprizing) and .... Correctness.

We only suck at readability right now, we are too tough for people
unfamiliar with a topic.

All in all, I think this is excellent news that deserves to be
discussed and celebrated. Of course, we should not make this
journalistic article to be a direct statement from us, since there
might be flaws in methodology. And a test sample of 50 is also not
that large.

Mathias