[Foundation-l] Requirements for a strong copyleft license

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Tue Dec 4 07:57:28 UTC 2007

On 12/2/07, Delphine Ménard <notafishz at gmail.com> wrote:
> => The whole resolution is in any case submitted to the changes
> brought to the GFDL.

These changes have already been agreed upon by the FSF Board. :-)
Progress is already moving on the FSF end to finalize & publish the
relevant changes.

> - WMF is saying "sure we'll look at it if you make the licenses compatible"

Actually, more like: "We're very happy that you're moving forward in
the direction we've been discussing with you; in general, there is
Board-level agreement that we need to resolve the issue of license
interoperability and license complexity, and this specific path -- as
opposed to some others that have been considered -- is the one we'd
like to ask our community to review."

I do believe it's principally only the step of community approval that
could be a real hurdle in relicensing Wikimedia projects to use
CC-BY-SA.
--
Toward Peace, Love & Progress:
Erik