[Foundation-l] What's wrong with CC-BY-SA?

Benj. Mako Hill mako at atdot.cc
Sun Dec 2 17:01:12 UTC 2007

<quote who="Erik Moeller" date="Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 01:12:09AM +0100">
> We could, for a transitional phase, allow photographers to change
> license templates on media they hold the copyright to from an
> (arguably or not) permissive copyleft license, to an explicitly strong
> copyleft license. This would not invalidate the old templates, but at
> least ensure that people finding the files on our site would be asked
> to respect the strong copyleft provision.
>
> After the transitional phase, strong copyleft would just be a choice
> for new uploads.
>
> This all presumes the existence of a strong copyleft license in the
> first place. :-)

This sounds like something WMF should pursue with CC now, while the
foundation has leverage.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
mako at atdot.cc
http://mako.cc/

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so far
as society is free to use the results. --GNU Manifesto