[Foundation-l] What's wrong with CC-BY-SA?

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 00:22:56 UTC 2007

On Dec 1, 2007 6:27 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greg will of course correct me if I'm wrong - but I suspect the
> problem is that lots of people want CC-by-sa because it's easier to
> reuse stuff ... but that GFDL makes it hard to reuse stuff is
> considered a *feature* by many, e.g. photographers who license work as
> GFDL but also sell it privately. That is: the thing that makes GFDL a
> pain in the backside for a wiki is precisely why they like it, and
> they want it to stay a pain in the backside for that reason.

I don't know of anyone who doesn't want their photographs being used
in freely licensed work.  The contention on this point is that the
creative commons cc-by-sa, per the position pushed by the creative
commons allows people to make non-free works out of cc-by-sa images.
There are people, myself included, that think this defeats the purpose
of free licensing in this context.

If you don't a work of your creation being made a part of a non-free
work you should probably go ahead and release as many copyright
related restrictions as possible.