[Foundation-l] What's wrong with CC-BY-SA?

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 11:35:04 UTC 2007

Hoi,
Wikipedia allows for the inclusion of text of material licensed under the
GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version. This means
that there is no restriction to GFDL Version 1.2. Anyone who says anything
different has always erroniously contributed to Wikipedia. From some people
I can believe it to be an error however, I do not believe for a moment that
Gregory Maxwell among others has not been always been aware of this. When
the GFDL is amended by the FSF in such a way that it becomes possible to
re-license to the CC-by-sa, it is very much what the FSF intends for the
GFDL. Given that officials of the FSF have been clear in the past that the
GFDL was never intended for content like Wikipedia I do not appreciate /
understand the crocodile tears that are being shed.

As the GFDL is more restrictive then the CC-by, it is possible to include
CC-by material in an GFDL work and have the whole be available under the
GFDL. In the mean time the CC-by material is still available under the
original license from where it became originally available. This can be
Commons. It is *not *a copyright violation as it is at best can be
considered a licensing violation. Given that the GFDL is more restrictive,
it can be easily argued that the reason why material was provided is still
very much applicable.

Thanks,
     GerardM