[Foundation-l] What's our dream license?

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 01:16:12 UTC 2007

On 01/12/2007, Andrew Whitworth <wknight8111 at gmail.com> wrote:
> With all the talk about changing to CC-BY-SA, or making modifications
> to the GFDL etc, it raises the question, what is our dream license? If
> we are going through all the effort to modify the existing GFDL, and
> mass-migrate the projects to a less restrictive license, maybe it
> makes more sense for us to draft our own. Enough people have mentioned
> concerns with CC-BY-SA to make me think that perhaps it isn't ideal
> either. Of course, once we switch, we could pressure CC into making
> changes to the license to suit us, but that seems like a waste of our
> effort when we could draft a perfect license and then switch directly
> to that.

We can't draft our own without starting from scratch. We can only use
current and later versions of GFDL. This new announcement is to do
with the FSF making a new version of the GFDL which would be
compatible (whatever that means in this context) with CC-BY-SA. Sure,
the FSF could make a new version based on what would be ideal for us,
but they probably wouldn't since it would effect more than just us.