[Foundation-l] What's wrong with CC-BY-SA?

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Sun Dec 2 00:12:09 UTC 2007

> I don't *think* I've used it that way myself, but I'm
> currently wracking my brain trying to think of anyone who I might
> have. These people *will* feel ripped off.

We could, for a transitional phase, allow photographers to change
license templates on media they hold the copyright to from an
(arguably or not) permissive copyleft license, to an explicitly strong
copyleft license. This would not invalidate the old templates, but at
least ensure that people finding the files on our site would be asked
to respect the strong copyleft provision.

After the transitional phase, strong copyleft would just be a choice
for new uploads.

This all presumes the existence of a strong copyleft license in the
first place. :-)
--
Toward Peace, Love & Progress:
Erik