[Foundation-l] What's wrong with CC-BY-SA?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 00:04:55 UTC 2007

On 01/12/2007, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/12/2007, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Greg will of course correct me if I'm wrong - but I suspect the
> > problem is that lots of people want CC-by-sa because it's easier to
> > reuse stuff ... but that GFDL makes it hard to reuse stuff is
> > considered a *feature* by many, e.g. photographers who license work as
> > GFDL but also sell it privately. That is: the thing that makes GFDL a
> > pain in the backside for a wiki is precisely why they like it, and
> > they want it to stay a pain in the backside for that reason.

> Ah, yes, the GFDL as "CC-BY-SA online and no-one dares use it offline"...
> I certainly understand that appeal :-)

It's worse than that - I suspect that's been advocated as a feature to
more than a few photographers to get them to put stuff onto Commons
for our use. I don't *think* I've used it that way myself, but I'm
currently wracking my brain trying to think of anyone who I might
have. These people *will* feel ripped off.

- d.