[Foundation-l] What's wrong with CC-BY-SA?

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 20:55:47 UTC 2007

On Dec 1, 2007 3:17 PM, Andrew Whitworth <wknight8111 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > But, in order to have any chance of this, we need to get a list of
> > complaints.  What problems do people have with CC-BY-SA?  I'm asking
> > this of everyone on the list.
>
> A lot of problems i've heard expressed about this were actually about
> other CC licenses, not CC-BY-SA. I've heard complaints about CC-BY, or
> CC-Sample+, or other CC licenses. CC-BY-SA is similar enough in spirit
> to the GFDL that free-content ideologues shouldn't have much of a
> problem with conversion between one or the other. At least, i
> certainly hope there wouldnt be too many problems.

I don't agree that cc-by-sa is actually "similar enough", certainly
not when you include the statements by Creative Commons on the meaning
of share alike for visual illustrations.

But that neither here nor there:

If there was actually an intention to keep the licenses "similar
enough in spirit" then the issues of compatibility could simply be
resolved by making the licenses compatible.   (and likewise, other
non-optimal aspects of the GFDL could be resolved if its your position
that they are already resolved in another 'similar enough' license).

You might be interested in an old essay of mine on the subject of
licensecompatibility:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Gmaxwell/An_alternative_model_for_license_compatibility