[Foundation-l] Alternatives to Cafepress

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Fri Aug 31 06:47:23 UTC 2007

James Redmond wrote:
> On Aug 28, 2007, at 1:05 AM, Sage Ross wrote:
>

>> Perhaps we could arrange a Wikimedia "Loves Threadless" competition to
>> generate some more T-shirt designs worth buying.
>>

> /me arrives late to the party
>
> This is a WONDERFUL idea, IMHO.  Not only does Threadless have a
> dedicated and talented community of artists, but they'd also handle
> the "storefront" part.
>
> The American Red Cross did a "loves Threadless" competition in April
> 2006 in honor of their 125th anniversary.  Three winning designs were
> selected from hundreds of entries, and for each shirt sold with a
> winning design, Threadless donated $5.  (I am not certain how much
> Threadless eventually donated.)
> <http://www.threadless.com/loves/redcross>
>
> As far as I'm concerned, this avenue is worth exploring.

I'm a bit wary of the "Wikimedia Loves Threadless" phrasing, which
sounds a bit too much like we're endorsing a tshirt company, rather than
just having them print shirts for us.  Is there a way to do this without
that wording?  If we *were* willing to do something that vaguely implied
endorsement, surely there are companies willing to pay more for the
privilege? At $5/shirt, and even a very generous estimate of 10,000
shirts sold, that'd be $50,000, which isn't all that much when compared
to other avenues for Wikimedia's income (the January fundraiser netted
about $1,000,000).

-Mark