[Foundation-l] Alternatives to Cafepress

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Sun Aug 26 18:51:59 UTC 2007

Sue Gardner wrote:

> Regardless, yes, Vishal has been looking at this, and yes, it
> has not been a particularly high priority.  Really it's the
> branding company who will handle it, if we sign with one. They
> will have the industry knowledge and the relationships to make a
> recommendation for what's best.

Do you really need "industry knowledge" to sell mugs and t-shirts?
I thought knowledge about the community that is going to *buy*
these items is more important.  Where and how do people normally
buy their favorite t-shirts for projects such as Wikipedia?  I'd
say Cafepress is the mainstream alternative, at least for the U.S.

The much neglected German/European store might provide better
prices and delivery times for buyers in much of Europe,
http://www.spreadshirt.net/shop.php?sid=10292

A month ago I made a T-shirt printable large logotype for the
Swedish Wikipedia [[Image:Wikipedia-logo-sv-large.png]].  When I
asked if I could print this and wear, I was told to print nothing
before there is a Swedish chapter established.  Apparently I'm
free to buy English text T-shirts from Cafepress (or German ones
from Spreadshirt) and wear or abuse these shirts as I like, just
not print my own.  The logic behind this escapes me.  I've also
tried to make people add the Swedish shirt design to the existing
shops at Cafepress or Spreadshirt, to no avail.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)