[Foundation-l] Fwd: Wikimedia logos on Commons

Casey Brown cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 20:32:32 UTC 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mike Godwin <mgodwin at wikimedia.org>
Date: Aug 25, 2007 11:09 AM
Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] Wikimedia logos on Commons
To: Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com>

I'd prefer, I think, for Wikimedia Foundation logos and visual trademarks to
be removed from Commons.  The potential for misunderstanding otherwise is
pretty limitless.

None of us wants to be dealing with a case where someone used the Wikipedia
icon on a product, when we challenged it, they said "Hey, it's FREE."

Of course, all trademarks are subject to fair use and other limitations on
exclusive use, so we're not flatly forbidden reproduction of the
iconography.  We're just saying it's not "free" in the sense that content in
Commons is supposed to be free.

--Mike