[Foundation-l] Claims of anti-government bias

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 10:58:36 UTC 2007

On 25/08/07, Any File <anysomefile at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 David Gerard wrote:
> > On 24/08/07, Robert Brockway <robert at timetraveller.org> wrote:

> > > Morning.  The Australian foreign minister, Mr Alexander Downer, has been
> > > quoted as stating that Wikipedia is "anti-government".

> > It's fairly clear he was floundering and didn't have a clue.

> In my opinion the real problem is the question made by the journalist.
> It is not understandable and definitively incorrect. I would have
> replied saying that the question was not understandable, but
> politicians need to be more polite and diplomatic  (although he said
> that there was some problems in the question, even if in a polite way.

Alexander Downer is well-known for being good when he's been briefed,
but for not being good talking unprepared; his response was in line
with this. You can be quite sure that if he were asked the same
question today he'd do a lot better.

I'm not sure if any Australian Wikimedians have been in touch with his
office yet, I hope they have.

-d.