[Foundation-l] Wikimedia logos on Commons

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 13:32:21 UTC 2007

On 24/08/07, effe iets anders <effeietsanders at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyway, although I think it is a serious and good proposal, I think as well
> that it brings more disadvantages then advantages compared with the current
> situation. But it is also the least worse scenario when we really would have
> to change the current way of acting.

I don't quite understand why we do need to change the "current way of acting".

There is another factor which is not mentioned much. Many of these
images are only marked {{CopyrightbyWikimedia}} because they contain
some Wikimedia logo. For example some wikiprojects create their own
little images and headers. There are "fun" images like the Wikipedia
logo with a Santa hat.

Allowing these images is not a required thing by any licensing or even
convenience argument, but IMO they are useful for community building,
and I would see it if a pointless loss if it was decided that such
images should not be allowed to exist on Commons.

regards
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/