[Foundation-l] Wikimedia logos on Commons

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 09:59:41 UTC 2007

Hoi,
The problem has been identified many times; a logo is part of a trademark
and consequently an organisation is limited in what it can allow to be done
with the materials that make up their trademark.

It is a general problem not restricted to the Wikimedia Foundation or
Debian. Based on the notion of "fair use" it is possible to use logos in
many Wikipedias. Based on the notion of "insufficient creativity" there is
another creative solution to the same problem. The issue is that Commons
does not allow fair use and the "insufficient creativity" notion is also
considered to be problematic.

What is needed is the acceptance that logos instil specific restrictions.
These restrictions will not go away. What these restrictions do is limit the
freedoms associated with this material. In essence they prohibit you from
using it to represent the organisation whose trademarked material it is.

Given what the purpose of a logo is and given why we want to use these logos
in the first place, this is reasonable. It is for this reason that we need
something like a CC-tm license. A license that is considered free but
restricts what is implied by being part of a trademark.

Thanks,
     GerardM