[Foundation-l] Wikimedia logos on Commons

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Fri Aug 24 09:41:52 UTC 2007

> I agree that we should permit the use of logos in Wikipedia articles.
> Thats why I support the policies which allow limited fair use images..
> Logos and the like clearly fit inside of that.  As a result I don't
> think we need to do anything else.
>
> Erik, I understand that you're unhappy with Dewp's decisions about
> these matters ... but their position is a long standing one.

1) My post has nothing to do with de.wp - please do not attribute false motives.

2) de.wp does permit non-free logos, under the assumption that they
are "public domain" due to insufficient creativity, an assumption
which they base on a German court ruling. They apply this logic even
to US logos, e.g. http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/20th_Century_Fox ; this
is problematic and WMF is aware of it.

3) We are talking about a specific class of works: identifying works.
I think it is perfectly reasonable to try to come up with a standard
of freedom for such works, and to then open up our archives to allow
uploading of those works which meet this standard to a central
archive.  Whether that archive should or shouldn't be Commons and
whether one should use the vocabulary of the free culture movement for
those logos is open to debate.

--
Toward Peace, Love & Progress:
Erik