[Foundation-l] Wikimedia logos on Commons

Ayelie ayelie.at.large at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 05:20:51 UTC 2007

On 8/24/07, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 24/08/07, Lilewyn <lilewyn at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> > If Commons can have its image propagate to other wikis, could we have a
> similar wiki solely for Foundation images (project logo uploads and the
> like) that would not be acceptable to Commons?
>
> THAT SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE THE FUNCTION OF COMMONS.
>
> Sorry to shout. Commons accepts these images (despite the
> contradiction with our policy). WMF accepts us hosting them (despite
> the contradiction with the recent Licensing Resolution). If people
> want to push for any change to resolve these contradictions, it should
> be to ask WMF to release a statement stating the obvious, that it is
> acceptable for Commons to host non-free logos copyrighted by WMF.
> *Not* create a WMFLogos-Commons, *or* have the images deleted.
>
> regards
> Brianna

I SUPPORT ABOVE USE OF CAPS.

I also support the rest of Brianna's statement. WMF is allowed to use its
own project for purposes such as hosting its own copyrighted logos, and we
have very obvious licenses for such cases. Creating a whole new project just
for logos, which would have to be monitored and administered to ensure that
only valid logos are uploaded, etc., would be a pain and is utterly
pointless when WMF already has Commons.

--
Ayelie
  ~Editor at Large