[Foundation-l] Wiki Scanner & wikinew

geni geniice at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 20:43:58 UTC 2007

On 8/21/07, jason safoutin <cute24minbflo at yahoo.com> wrote:

> My excuse...Do you know how IP address work? ONLY individuals employed by FOX >News Channel, or News Corp have access to those IP addresses. ONLY employees are >the ones who can log onto the internet with those IPs.

Prove it.

> Its simple. FOX News employees made the edits, as the tool says, under FOX News IP >addresses, only able tp be used by employees. I or you or anyone else is not able to log >onto the internet and use their IP ranges. That is impossible.

Okey:

There are various ways they could have computers set up for semi
public acess. School vists perhaps.

Fair chance of useing wifi. Far from imposible that their security
hasn't always been flawless

Fox may have chosen at some point to act as an ISP for someone else
either in the same building or a nearby building.

The usual problems with compramised computers

There used to be a way to  make mediawiki record false IPs

>This is not whitewashing. We did more than FOX. We did the AP,
Reuters, MSNBC, CNN, >and BBC. and all of those agencies, with the
exception of FOX News were realitively clean >in terms of edits.

> You see, before slam Wikinews and whitewash us, maybe you need to use the >WikiScanner tool and understand how it works and also understand how IPs work as well.
>
> Jason Safoutin, Wikinews writer, administrator.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3AListusers&username=&group=checkuser&limit=50

Generaly Check users are chosen from those who know their way around
as to how IPs work.

--
geni