[Foundation-l] Alternative to paypal

Debbie Garside debbie at ictmarketing.co.uk
Fri Aug 17 11:31:18 UTC 2007

Andrew wrote:

> We currently offer Paypal, Moneybookers, and a variety of "real ways"
> to give us money. The problem is, you start getting a
> negative return; bombard people with too many different
> donation boxes and they get confused and give up.

I agree, but there are only 5 options on the donor page at the moment.  It
could be designed slightly differently with two click donation.  I don't
think you would lose many/any donors for clicking on a Paypal heading to
take them to the donor page.  I would not advocate more than 3 or 4 online
options but the prospect of doing a deal with Google vis-à-vis matching a
percentage of the donations as well as a "free" service could be
investigated more fully.  I don't think a decision should be made until it
has been investigated.

> So we need to keep it relatively tight; swapping one in or
> out is sensible, but adding three more might be
> counterproductive. No easy solutions :-)
>
> The other critical point here is that the "wonderfullness" of
> any given financial system is not just a matter of the
> conditions it offers or a slightly better margin on overhead
> - if it only has a tiny userbase, it's really not much use
> until that userbase gets bigger.

But userbases can rise rapidly.  My advice, try to do a deal at the start;
you'll get better rates/benefits.

Best regards

Debbie