[Foundation-l] Mission & Vision statement updated

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Apr 27 06:10:37 UTC 2007

Anthony wrote:

>>>No, you obviously can't change a charity into a non-charity without
>>>getting into trouble with the IRS.  But that doesn't mean that you
>>>need IRS approval to make any change to your mission statement.
>>>

>>I said going from a cancer charity to a caviare *charity*. Any
>>non-profit organisation that follows the appropriate rules can be a
>>charity, there is no legal connection between "charity" and the
>>subjective concept of "good cause".
>>

>Well, I'm not convinced that providing caviar(*) to aristocrats would
>ever be considered a charitable purpose by the IRS.  But if it is,
>then I don't see any reason the IRS would have a problem with it.
>State law governing non-profit organizations, on the other hand, might
>very well have something to say about it.

The essence of straw man arguments is to propose a situation that is
ridiculously unlikely (like the caviar charity), and proceed to use
arguments against it to serve in more sensible circumstances.
Converting a charity established to cure lung cancer into one that
treats emphysema would be a more likely situation.

Ec