[Foundation-l] Mission & Vision statement updated

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Thu Apr 26 23:13:11 UTC 2007

On 4/26/07, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I don't know the details, but it is common sense that such a law
> > > exists. I can't found a charity to help cure cancer, get lots of
> > > donations, and then change the charity to one that provides caviare to
> > > aristocrats.
> >
> > No, you obviously can't change a charity into a non-charity without
> > getting into trouble with the IRS.  But that doesn't mean that you
> > need IRS approval to make any change to your mission statement.
>
> I said going from a cancer charity to a caviare *charity*. Any
> non-profit organisation that follows the appropriate rules can be a
> charity, there is no legal connection between "charity" and the
> subjective concept of "good cause".

Well, I'm not convinced that providing caviar(*) to aristocrats would
ever be considered a charitable purpose by the IRS.  But if it is,
then I don't see any reason the IRS would have a problem with it.
State law governing non-profit organizations, on the other hand, might
very well have something to say about it.

I also don't think the example you gave is anything remotely close to
the situation at hand.

Anthony

(*) You were talking about caviar, right?