[Foundation-l] Wikipedia:Office Actions

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 15:27:01 UTC 2007

On 26/04/07, Peter van Londen <londenp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wp:Office is until now only official on EN:WP (I mean by that: published
> only there); it has not been spread to the other projects; imho this was not
> a mistake, nobody found it necessary to do that (maybe because there was not
> a need for that policy elsewhere?).
> If it was meant to be foundation-wide, it would have meant that this policy
> would have been properly introduced to all the projects, which it was not.

The point being missed here is that WP:OFFICE on en:wp is not
prescriptive - it is descriptive. It does not set out a policy to be
applied, it describes what actually happens. The actions came first,
the description later.

That is: it already applies by default to all projects hosted by the
Wikimedia Foundation - whether a page saying so exists already or not.

What that page says and how it works may need a lot of attention. But
the policy (that the Foundation can do things because it has to)
exists already, because the Foundation hosts the wikis.

- d.