[Foundation-l] A modest proposal: ads on wikipedia.com

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 23:52:51 UTC 2007

> Been kicking this around on IRC all day. General view is that it would
> have to be handled very carefully both in terms of community relations
> and PR wise.

Hence floating it here. At present wikipedia.com is all but deprecated.

Could someone please forward this to the strongest objectors from last time?

> Ideally it would be nice to see more than a stable version (no
> shortage of wikipedia mirrors out there already).

*The* stable version, the checked and lovely product. No change
whatsoever in wiki-anything.org.

> I don't know exactly how many hits wikipedia.com gets but I doubt it
> could pay our hosting and staff costs on it's own.

We get one hell of a lot more readers than we do editors. If the known
not-bad version is on .com, that'll encourage linking to it.

- d.