[Foundation-l] A modest proposal: ads on wikipedia.com

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 23:49:01 UTC 2007

> How about using the old domain, wikipedia.com, as a site for stable
> Wikipedia versions, with ads on? The ad money, as well as paying our
> comparatively small hosting and staff costs, could go toward
> educational programmes for those people who could benefit from our
> hard work but *aren't* comfortable, well-fed first-world citizens.
>
> (As far as I can tell, pretty much all opposition to ads on Wikimedia
> comes from people who are in fact comfortable, well-fed first-world
> citizens. I eagerly await news and demographics otherwise.)

Been kicking this around on IRC all day. General view is that it would
have to be handled very carefully both in terms of community relations
and PR wise.

Ideally it would be nice to see more than a stable version (no
shortage of wikipedia mirrors out there already).

I don't know exactly how many hits wikipedia.com gets but I doubt it
could pay our hosting and staff costs on it's own.

--
geni