[Foundation-l] Does "free content" exist in France?

Alison Wheeler wikimedia at alisonwheeler.com
Fri Apr 20 20:39:05 UTC 2007

On Fri, April 20, 2007 19:07, Birgitte SB wrote:
> I wasn't meaning to pick on
> France, but I was completely certain what I was saying
> was true for France.  Whereas I believe is it also
> true in Germany and most of the EU, I am not sure
> which juristictions allow these rights to waived.

In the UK you have to "assert" your moral rights at the outset, (eg. "The
author(s) assert(s) their moral rights under Chapter IV of the copyrights
designs and patents act 1988") as opposed to the 'automatic-ness' of
copyright, but having asserted them you can then announce that you will
not seek to enforce them, waive them entirely, etc. subsequently. This is
why a television advert, for example, doesn't have to have a
director/cinematographer/etc credit list on it. If you do not assert them
in the UK then, sfaiaa/iana(c)l, they do not apply and cannot be asserted
after the first publication.

Alison Wheeler