[Foundation-l] what do we do in the event the Foundation fails? - Re: Pol...

Kelly Martin kelly.lynn.martin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 00:07:11 UTC 2007

On 4/18/07, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> None of you are wrong, you are just both not looking from the same angle.
> Your angle is from an editor or a reader point of view. That's the point
> of view of the community.
> Delphine's angle is from the Foundation point of view.

Pardon my French, but you're on crack.  My position is from the
financial/organization point of view.  Delphine's is from
God-knows-where, but it's certainly not the Foundation point of view;
it seems more focused on the "community of communities" interest,
which is not (in my mind) the same as the Foundation's interest.  I
think the community's interests should be preserved, too, but the
Foundation needs to preserve itself first and foremost.  If it fails
to preserve itself, it will be unable to preserve anything else.  If
you put preserving the communities ahead of preserving the Foundation,
then you are not doing your job, and you should seriously consider
stepping down as President.

> Financially speaking, the domain name is not bringing anything to the
> Foundation, whilst the brand is, and will more and more in the future.

Excuse me, but are you daft?  The domain name is far and away the most
valuable asset the Foundation has, and anybody with any grasp of
commercial branding knows that domain names are a very important
aspect of a brand.  If what you said above is truly what you believe,
the Foundation is in dire trouble.

Kelly